The GWC offers distance consultations for writers who are unable to visit University Park due to work or research.
Scheduling Your Appointment
To use our distance consulting service, please schedule a distance consultation using our online calendar (make sure to select an online, not in-person, session). If you have any problems making an appointment, please contact gradschoolhelp[at]psu.edu.
Preparing for Your Appointment
Once you’ve scheduled an appointment, take these steps beforehand to make sure you can make use of the full 50 minutes with a consultant when the time comes.
- Create a Google account.
- Log in to Google Hangouts (google.com/hangouts).
- Click “New Conversation.”
- Type in the GWC address (gwc[dot]psu[at]gmail[dot]com).
- Select GWC when it appears as a search result.
- Send a test message to us using the chat tool.
Google Docs, used in tandem with Google Hangouts, is an effective way of sharing your work because it allows us to see the changes you make in real time. Follow steps 1 through 4 if your document isn’t already in Google Docs, and follow step 5 to share it with us.
- Go to drive.google.com.
- Click the “New” button at the top of the left column and selecting “File upload.”
- Select your Word document and click “Open.”
- Click on the uploaded document; select “Open with Google Docs.”
- Share your document with us by clicking the “Share” button () in the upper-right corner and adding the address gwc[dot]psu[at]gmail[dot]com.
Starting Your Appointment
Take these steps when the time for your appointment arrives.
- Log in to Google Hangouts.
- Click on our name in your list of contacts.
- Press the video call icon to begin the session.
- Contact us right away if you are having any difficulties connecting.